The R&R Rail Trail Duathlon & Fun Run will be held on Sunday 30th April 2017.
The R&R duathlon & fun run have derived from the passionate Brisbane Valley Rail Trail (BVRT) Ambassadors. The Ambassadors are local volunteers who love and help look after a portion of the BVRT. The original line was built in the 1880’s to transport timber, milk and beef to Brisbane and to supply farmers and rail towns. The last service was in 1989. Extending through urban villages, native bushland, farming country and plantation forests, the trail provides views of South East Queensland’s scenic landscapes. What a great place to compete in an event? The BVRT Ambassadors want to encourage recreational use of this beautiful trail to the wider community of walkers, runners, bicycle riders and horse riders, so in partnership with G’onya Adventures The R&R Rail Trail Experience was born.
The R&R Rail Trail Experience is a day you can come and see first hand this beautiful section of the Rail Trail for your-self in a very festive way with these events. The events start and finish at the Blackbutt Showgrounds and travels to Nukku, Benankin, Linville and Moore. On the day you have 4 event options,
1. 30/30 (30 km Rail Trail run & 30 km Trail bike ride) This event runs from Blackbutt to Moore which is slightly downhill most of the way. At the Moore Community Hall you change to your bike for the return 30 km bike ride which is of cause slightly uphill most of the way. If you are competing in this event as an individual you will need to either drop your bike off at the hall Saturday between 11 am and 4 pm or early Sunday morning between 5.00 and 5.45 am. If you are part of a team in this event you can still drop your bike at the Moore Hall Saturday or Sunday morning, but it could also be a good idea to watch your team member start the run, then drive down to the Moore Hall with the bike, and then the runner has transport to get back to Blackbutt to see the bike rider finish. There is a cut off time for this event of 9 hours and a cut off time of 12.30 pm at the Moore Hall. Minimum age 18 years.
2. Linville Loop (22 km Rail Trail run & 22 km Rail Trail bike ride) NEW EVENT in 2017. This event runs from Blackbutt to the small town of Linville which is slightly downhill most of the way. At Linville you will jump on your bike for the return 22 km trip back to Blackbutt Showgrounds which is slightly uphill most of the way. Due to this being a new event in 2017 we are still working out the logistics of if your bike can be dropped off the day before or the morning of the event. Minimum age 18 years.
3. 4 km Trail run – 18 km Trail ride – 1 km run. (Duathlon) This event runs from Blackbutt to Nukku on the run component then Blackbutt down to Fettler’s Rest and return for the ride component, then a 1 km run around the Blackbutt showgrounds to finish off this duathlon event. This should take between 1 ½ to 4 hours to complete. But you can break this event up into a team event of 2. So one person does the running and the other does the bike riding. This is even a better way to start with events if you’re new to it or only feel confident at one discipline. These events are for anyone of any ability. Minimum age 14 years.
4. 8 km Fun Run. This is an individual event. What a lovely way to explore the Rail Trail between Blackbutt and the Nukku Station. This is an out and back course. Minimum age 14 years.
Event Options/Prices 2017
The 30/30, 30 km run & 30 km ride Individual & Team
NEW EVENT "LINVILLE LOOP" 22 km run & 22 km ride Individual & Team
4 km run – 18 km ride – 1 km run Duathlon, Individual & Team
- 8 km Rail Trail Fun Run
NOTE: All earlybird registrations will guarantee the right size event T-shirt.
All events will start at 7 am at the Blackbutt Showgrounds
Checkpoints & Drink Stations
30/30 will have 8 drink stations. Approximate distances 9 km, 14 km, 19 km, 22 km, 30 km, 38 km, 51 km, 60 km. There will be 5 manned checkpoints at 9 km, 2 km, 30 km, 38 km, 51 km.
Linville Loop (22/22) will have drink stations at approximate 9 km, 14 km, 19 km, 22 km, 25 km, 30 km and the finish, and 3 manned checkpoints at 9 kms, 22 km turnaround and 35 km.
Duathlon will have 4 CP’s. Half way on the run and ride and the transition area at the start/finish.
Fun Run will have 1 CP at the half way mark of the run.
Blackbutt Showgrounds address is 57 Bowman Rd Blackbutt 4306
Camping with showers and toilets are available at the Blackbutt Showgrounds on either Friday, Saturday or Sunday nights for $8 per person.(un powered) The Showgrounds have a cash deposit box for your payment. If you are not camping but would like a shower after your event it will cost you $3 and again this goes into the cash deposit box. There is plenty of room for everyone to camp.
There is also the Blackbutt Motel Ph: (07) 41630500 at 69 Coulson Street
Blackbutt Hotel also in Coulson Street.
Yarraman Garden Motel, 2-4 Toomey St (07) 41638144
The town of Blackbutt is located on top of the Blackbutt Range at the eastern gateway to Queensland's South Burnett region. This is approximately 140 kilometres north-west of Brisbane on Highway 17.
Blackbutt can be reached by following:
- the D'Aguilar Highway from Caboolture
- the Brisbane Valley Highway through Esk
- the New England Highway via Yarraman
- the D'Aguilar Highway from Kingaroy
Blackbutt can also be reached via a partially unsealed scenic road from Crows Nest on the Darling Downs.